Saturday, May 30, 2009

Are you on Facebook?

Last summer I spent a week doing renovations on inner city homes with two of my sons and 100 other teen-agers (and some adults). As the week was coming to an end everyone was talking about becoming friends with each other on Facebook. So, I ventured in and made myself a Facebook page. And, lo and behold, there were all our newfound friends just waiting to be my friends.

As I was signing up I entered what college I attended and a screen popped up saying "People on Facebook You May Know". Sure enough, there was one of my best friends from college who I had lost touch with. She became my first friend. She responded, thrilled that someone else as old as her was also on Facebook. It has been quite nice being in contact with her again.

In the year since venturing onto Facebook, I have kept up with the kids I got to know last summer at WorkCamp. I used Facebook to invite these kids to a going-away party for my son. I have regained contact with several college friends. I have made friends with other parents who have sent their sons off to Marine Boot Camp (as I did last August). I have even been able to chat with my son who is far away being a Marine. The fact that I can keep an eye on what my kids are doing on Facebook is just a bonus.

I have set limits on what I will do on Facebook. I let the kids be kids. I rarely look at their pages. I have not become friends with my nieces and nephews, because I don't want to become the "Facebook Police". If I can't look at their pages then I don't have to worry about what they are saying or doing on there.

As for what Facebook can be used for at the Library. It is a great way to communicte with young people. Group pages could be set up for Teen Book Clubs or the SRC for kids. Notes can be sent out with reminders for meetings and other activities. Questions can be asked like "Which book would you like to read for next month's book discussion; The Book Thief or Twilight?" Again, this needs someone to start it and keep it up. It takes time initially, but may pay off in dividends that would make it worthwhile.


All in all, I would say that this has been one of the most enjoyable assignments from this Web 2.0 assignment so far.

No comments: